Address: Kežmarok Information Agency, Main Square Nr. 64, 060 01 Kežmarok
- 49.133288, 20.428861 (1 –Wooden church – UNESCO, 2 – Lyceum Library, 3 –New evangelical church)
- 49.137597, 20.431843 (6 – Museum of Interior Styles)
- 49.138567, 20.432693 (7 – Marian– Paulinus church)
- 49.139675, 20.432207 (8 – Castle – Museum in Kežmarok)
- 49.139265, 20.430217 (9 – The Old Market)
- 49.137517, 20.430496 (10 –Basilica Minor St. Cross, 11 –Renaissance Belfry)
- 49.135810, 20.426689 (12 – Historical cemetery)
Pearl under the Tatras – The town of Kežmarok is proud to have such a label. The fact remains that it is not just one pearl, but twelve! And even these are only the most gleaming and rarest of the gems in the imaginary pearl necklace, which is the historic town of Kežmarok. At the initiative of Oskar Marczy (1924 – 2006) and in cooperation with the towns’ management, a historical path was created, which will take visitors alongthe path to the most important monuments. So, let’s take a closer look.
Also called the small Sistine chapel in the Spiš region, it is an unusual sacral building, which, because of its significance and world value, has been included and inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list of monuments. It has been serving as God’s tabernacle for more than three centuries. Art lovers meet inside for spectacular music concerts and, above all, the temple is open to the general public to share its beauty.
2 – LYCEUM LIBRARY
The inconspicuous building guards not only the church’s golden treasure, but also 55 first editions. These are rare books printed between 1470 and 1500. In addition, a book collection of 150,000 titles has been created over the centuries, making the Lyceum Library one of the largest school historical libraries in Central Europe. Seeing so many books in one place is a real experience.
The unmistakable face of the object attracts with its characteristic red colour and makes the building a landmark. The interior impresses with its obvious symmetry. A rarity of the temple is its twin pulpits. No wonder such a wonderful and spiritual place serves as the last resting place of the uncrowned King Imrich Thököly.
4 – TOWN HALL
The dominant building in the town centre has been rebuilt several times. The last time was after the great fire in 1922. To this day, it serves its purpose and is the seat of the towns’ management. The decoration on the facade can be perfectly seen from the adjacent relaxation zone and fountain.
5 – REDOUBT
The remarkable redoubt building is close to the town hall and is not to be missed due to its yellow colour. It was sometimes called a mansion. On the façade the Kežmarok coat of arms and a Latin inscription with the date is painted – “Intended for guards, guests and entertainment – 1818”. But the building is much older.
In 1994, an exposition of a burgher’s interior culture was opened in a Gothic house dating from the middle of the 15th century. The interior draws the visitor into a time long gone and allows him to, at least for a while, become the rich goldsmith who actually lived here. In addition to admiring the beautiful furniture, it is worth noting a rarity of European character. It is a tiled stove with a bald raven.
A church dedicated to the Visitation of the Virgin Mary stands out from the terraced construction on the Castle Square. The single-nave interior with a Prussian vault will surprise you with its decoration. It is a perfect architectural example of early Baroque to the Rococo era.
From 1463, the original fortress underwent a number of reconstructions, until during the course of two centuries, a luxurious Renaissance mansion was born. Today, the town castle offers a wonderful exposition that will enchant both young and old. The surrounding area can be seen from the dungeon tower, which serves as a lookout tower. There is even a permanent exhibition of antique cars in the castles’ courtyard.
9 – THE OLD MARKET
The oldest street in the town, at some point in history, set the tone for life and especially for business. Today it is a beautiful witness to the medieval grandeur of Kežmarok. You can walk along the street, which acts as a connection between the castle and the Basilica Minor of St. Cross, among the houses with typical gabled roofs.
Today’s appearance of the church building comes from a magnificent Gothic reconstruction in the years 1444 to 1498. The church has three naves and, as a rarity, a triple vault – a net, a star and a cross.The statue of the crucified Christ from today’s main altar is the work of Master Paul of Levoča, whose work is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
11 – RENAISSANCE BELFRY
Also known as the Golden Tower, it is considered to be the most beautiful belfry in Spiš. The oldest bell is dated from 1525, and before the construction of the belfryit was placed in the tower of the church of St. Cross. The belfry is in the immediate vicinity of the town’s former evangelical school from 1536.
12 – HISTORICAL CEMETERY
The cemetery dates back to the days of the religious oppression of Protestants. There are many historic graves in the cemetery. For the people of Kežmarok, the tomb of the three martyrs – Kray, Lány and Toperczer – who laid down their lives for the town’s good, is important. The oldest preserved sandstone tombstone belongs to Sigismund Reinisch, who died on February 16, 1691.